Table of contents
- 1. What is SoftEther VPN
- Two. Architecture of SoftEther VPN
- Three. How to Use SoftEther VPN ?
- Four. Ad-hoc VPN
- Five. LAN to LAN Bridge
- 6. Remote Access to LAN
- 7. Join a Local PC into Cloud
- 8. Join a Cloud VM into LAN
- 9. Cloud to LAN Bridge VPN
- Ten. Cloud to Cloud Bridge VPN
- 11. iPhone and Android
- 12. Windows and Mac Laptops
- 13. Remote Management
- 14. Building Your Own Cloud
- 15. VPN for Network Testing, Simulation and Debugging
- 16. Remote Access
- 17. Comfy Network Anywhere
- Legal. Dynamic DNS and Vloeistof Traversal
- Nineteen. VPN Azure
- 20. Penetrates Firewall by SSL-VPN
- 21. Replacements of Cisco or other hardware-based VPNs
- 22. Replacements of OpenVPN
- 23. Screenshots
SoftEther VPN Project develops and distributes SoftEther VPN,
An Open-Source Free Cross-platform Multi-protocol VPN Program,
What is SoftEther VPN
SoftEther VPN (",SoftEther", means ",Software Ethernet",) is one of the world’s most powerful and easy-to-use multi-protocol VPN software. It runs on Windows, Linux, Mac, FreeBSD and Solaris.
SoftEther VPN is open source. You can use SoftEther for any private or commercial use for free charge.
SoftEther VPN is an optimum alternative to OpenVPN and Microsoft’s VPN servers. SoftEther VPN has a clone-function of OpenVPN Server. You can integrate from OpenVPN to SoftEther VPN slickly. SoftEther VPN is swifter than OpenVPN. SoftEther VPN also supports Microsoft SSTP VPN for Windows Vista / 7 / 8. No more need to pay expensive charges for Windows Server license for Remote-Access VPN function.
SoftEther VPN can be used to realize BYOD (Bring your own device) on your business. If you have smartphones, tablets or laptop PCs, SoftEther VPN’s L2TP/IPsec server function will help you to establish a remote-access VPN from your local network. SoftEther VPN’s L2TP VPN Server has strong compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS and Android.
SoftEther VPN is not only an alternative VPN server to existing VPN products (OpenVPN, IPsec and MS-SSTP). SoftEther VPN has also original strong SSL-VPN protocol to penetrate any kinds of firewalls. Ultra-optimized SSL-VPN Protocol of SoftEther VPN has very rapid throughput, low latency and firewall resistance.
SoftEther VPN has strong resistance against firewalls than everzwijn. Built-in NAT-traversal penetrates your network admin’s troublesome firewall for overprotection. You can setup your own VPN server behind the firewall or Vocht ter your company, and you can reach to that VPN server ter the corporate private network from your huis or mobile place, without any modification of firewall settings. Any deep-packet inspection firewalls cannot detect SoftEther VPN’s wegtransport packets spil a VPN voetgangerstunnel, because SoftEther VPN uses Ethernet overheen HTTPS for camouflage.
Effortless to imagine, vormgeving and implement your VPN topology with SoftEther VPN. It virtualizes Ethernet by software-enumeration. SoftEther VPN Client implements Virtual Network Adapter, and SoftEther VPN Server implements Virtual Ethernet Switch. You can lightly build both Remote-Access VPN and Site-to-Site VPN, spil expansion of Ethernet-based L2 VPN. Of course, traditional IP-routing L3 based VPN can be built by SoftEther VPN.
SoftEther VPN has strong compatibility to today’s most popular VPN products among the world . It has the interoperability with OpenVPN, L2TP, IPsec, EtherIP, L2TPv3, Cisco VPN Routers and MS-SSTP VPN Clients. SoftEther VPN is the world’s only VPN software which supports SSL-VPN, OpenVPN, L2TP, EtherIP, L2TPv3 and IPsec, spil a single VPN software.
SoftEther VPN is free software because it wasgoed developed spil Daiyuu Nobori’s Master Thesis research te the University. You can download and use it from today. The source-code of SoftEther VPN is available under GPL license.
Features of SoftEther VPN
- Free and open-source software.
- Effortless to establish both remote-access and site-to-site VPN.
- SSL-VPN Tunneling on HTTPS to pass through NATs and firewalls.
- Revolutionary VPN overheen ICMP and VPN overheen DNS features.
- Resistance to highly-restricted firewall.
- Ethernet-bridging (L2) and IP-routing (L3) overheen VPN.
- Embedded dynamic-DNS and NAT-traversal so that no static strafgevangenis immovable IP address is required.
- AES 256-bit and RSA 4096-bit encryptions.
- Sufficient security features such spil logging and firewall inward VPN voetgangerstunnel.
- 1Gbps-class high-speed throughput spectacle with low memory and CPU usage.
- Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad and Windows Mobile are supported.
- SSL-VPN (HTTPS) and 6 major VPN protocols (OpenVPN, IPsec, L2TP, MS-SSTP, L2TPv3 and EtherIP) are all supported spil VPN tunneling underlay protocols.
- The OpenVPN clone function supports legacy OpenVPN clients.
- IPv4 / IPv6 dual-stack.
- The VPN server runs on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and Mac OS X.
- Configure All settings on GUI.
- Multi-languages (English, Japanese and Simplified-Chinese).
- No memory leaks. High quality stable codes, intended for long-term runs. Wij always verify that there are no memory or resource leaks before releasing the build.
- RADIUS / NT Domain user authentication function
- RSA certificate authentication function
- Deep-inspect packet logging function
- Source IP address control list function
- syslog transfer function
- More details at Specification.
Architecture of SoftEther VPN
Virtualization of Ethernet devices is the key of the SoftEther VPN architecture. SoftEther VPN virtualizes Ethernet devices te order to realize a supple virtual private network for both remote-access VPN and site-to-site VPN. SoftEther VPN implements the Virtual Network Adapter program spil a software-emulated traditional Ethernet network adapter. SoftEther VPN implements the Virtual Ethernet Switch program (called Virtual Hub) spil a software-emulated traditional Ethernet switch. SoftEther VPN implements VPN Session spil a software-emulated Ethernet cable inbetween the network adapter and the switch.
You can create one or many Virtual Hub with SoftEther VPN on your server laptop. This server rekentuig will become a VPN server, which accepts VPN connection requests from VPN client computers.
You can create one or many Virtual Network Adapter with SoftEther VPN on your client pc. This client laptop will become a VPN client, which establishes a VPN connections to the Virtual Hub on the VPN server.
You can establish VPN sessions, spil called ‘VPN tunnels’, inbetween VPN clients and VPN servers. A VPN session is the virtualized network cable. A VPN session is realized overheen a TCP/IP connection. The signals through the VPN session is encrypted by SSL. Therefore, you can securely establish a VPN session beyond the Internet. A VPN session is established by SoftEther VPN’s ",VPN overheen HTTPS", technology. It means that SoftEther VPN can create a VPN connection beyond any kinds of firewalls and NATs.
The Virtual Hub exchanges all Ethernet packets from each connected VPN session to other connected sessions. The behavior is same to traditional Ethernet switches. The Virtual Hub has a FDB (forwarding database) to optimize the transmission of Ethernet frames.
You can define a local bridge inbetween the Virtual Hub and the existing physical Ethernet segment by using the Local Bridge function. The Local Bridge exchanges packets inbetween the physical Ethernet adapter and the Virtual Hub. You can realize a remote-access VPN from huis or mobile to the company network by using the Local Bridge function.
You can define a cascading connection inbetween two or more remote Virtual Hubs. With cascading, you can integrate two or more remote Ethernet segments to a single Ethernet segment. For example, after you establish cascading connections inbetween the webpagina A, B and C, then any computers te the webpagina A will be able to communicate with the computers te the webpagina B and the webpagina C. This is a site-to-site VPN.
SoftEther VPN can also establish a VPN session overheen UDP. The UDP-mode of SoftEther VPN supports Vocht traversal. The Vocht traversal function permits the VPN server behind existing NATs or firewalls to accept incoming VPN sessions. You need no network administrator’s special permission before setting up a VPN server on the company network behind firewalls or NATs. Additionally, SoftEther VPN Server may be placed on the dynamic IP address environment since SoftEther VPN has built-in Dynamic DNS (DDNS) function.
SoftEther VPN Server supports extra VPN protocols, including L2TP/IPsec, OpenVPN, Microsoft SSTP, L2TPv3 and EtherIP. Thesis realizes the interoperability with built-in L2TP/IPsec VPN clients on iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows and Mac OS X, and also with Cisco’s VPN routers and other vendors VPN products.
How to Use SoftEther VPN ?
SoftEther VPN is an essential infrastructure to build-up IT systems on enterprises and small-businesses.